Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Bright Idea and a missing relative

I took a day off work yesterday to attend the projector demonstration at Christ Church. We have been trying to raise money to improve the projection. The projector we have now is OK for words but is not good for pictures and hopeless for video. We will also get a new screen (hopefully). We looked at two - one about 4,000 ANSI lumens, and one about 6,500 ANSI lumens. The demonstration was in the middle of the day, so not that many could attend. Those who did will have seen our projector deliver a very difficult to see piece of video. The lower specification machine gave us something that was visible but not easy to watch. The higher specification machine gave us a picture that was easy to watch. I know which one I want. Two of the younger people in the church suggested that if we are to spend some money we need to see that it has made a difference. Again, I agree.

After lunch Jo and I headed to Southend Sutton Road cemetery to look for grandfather George and his wife Ethel. They should be in the same grave. My grandfather died in 1929, when my father was still a boy, and this is the first time I have tried to find his grave. Grandmother died a little over a year later and should be in the same place.
We arrived to find rush hour at the cemetery, and had to park along the road. The rabbits have burrowed deep into the graves and many of the headstones are broken or missing. We walked up and down the rows counting graves and trying to work out where the plot might be. After a couple of failed attempts we arrived here - at the row between the bush and a very well kept grave. The plot is the one immediately to the left of the grave, and immediately in front of my feet.
It seems that my grandfather does not want to be found!

We drove down the road to look at the church where Mum & Dad were married. It is in Sutton road and is called 'All Saints', Jo found it on the map and off we went. I don't think it is the right one though. There is another 'All Saints' in Sutton Road, which I do think is the right one.
After that we drove to grandfather's last house which can be seen in the picture. I wonder if there is any evidence of him in there?

Lastly we went over to Shoebury east beach. That beach used to be wild and open but it has been tamed and civilised, and is not what it once was.

1 comment:

  1. "Rush hour at the cemetery"--what a funny phrase, but I know exactly what you mean.

    Hard to find a trace left over from 1929... I wonder what trace I will leave on the world 50 years from now? Little, I suspect. I think most of us speak to our own generation.

    ReplyDelete