Friday, August 28, 2009

Broadband Setup - O2

I went to help friends set up their broadband service last night. They had looked at Which? magazine to get a rating for the various suppliers. They had chosen O2 for their ISP. The account had been set up, the equipment had arrived and the connection had been made. They had chosen O2 for their good ratings, but noted that it was also rated as the easiest setup. Being sceptical, at the best of times, and cynical the rest of the time, I wasn't expecting it to be that great.

I was wrong. The setup program asks simple questions and gives simple instructions. I only had to enter the password, and click 'Next' a few times. The connection to the ISP was set up without any further questions. Part way through the install Java found an update and asked to install it, so I knew it was working. Outlook Express was set up and was working - four e-mails confirming the account setup were ready and waiting.

Once it was all running I went back to the disc and installed the McAfee security software. I've had troubles with McAfee before in the registration process, but although it took longer than suggested it registered cleanly and updated itself and worked on the restart without complaining or asking permissions to do things.

Top marks to O2 for putting together a very good installation package.

No comments:

Post a Comment