Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Signed Off

Today's appointment at the hospital has resulted in me being signed-off by the Fracture Clinic. All I have to do now is to get some use back. At the Shoulder Class this morning there was a different supervisor. He got me to do some of the exercises differently - another level of pain to add, just as I started to be able to do them comfortably - still I suppose that's what it is all about - a step at a time. We started with different warm up exercises - they were painful too. He also promised new exercises next week. This week should be extended to 8 or perhaps 10 days.

To see how far you go with external rotation stand with your arms by your side, bend your elbows so that your arms point forward. Now, keeping your elbows close to you sides move your hand outwards. On the left I can do 90 degrees easily. On the right it is may be 10-15. That is all the improvement that I have managed from 0. I have a special (not drawn) exercise which simply involves pushing it with a stick. I have found lying on the bed and using the weight is easier on the back muscles, so that's what I have been doing.

The doctor thinks there is more movement to be had, but did say there would be limits, and they wouldn't be as good as the left. I have been prepared well - that has been the message all along. The limits are cause by scar tissue in the muscles and in the joint. Scar tissue is not as flexible or as elastic as normal tissue. The joint was badly damaged, and the surgery cut through muscles that when healed mean more scar tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment