Sunday, May 10, 2009

Church, Garden, Exercise

Church
This morning at Christ Church we had a visit from one of the teachers from Buttsbury Junior School - Juliet Chowdhury. Way back in February one of our Readers went with Juliet to visit Ciamanda Primary School (pronounced Shiamanda) on an exchange visit. Ciamanda is in Kenya, north west of Nairobi. The Children there learn three languages - their tribal language, the local Swahili and English (the official language). They are very poor by comparison to us, but they have a freedom to be who they are, and to practice and teach Christianity that would never be allowed in Western Europe, and certainly not Britain. So in some ways they have a better life. Margaret had prepared a short video, which unfortunately was probably not visible to some of the people in the congregation - our projection is rubbish on a sunny day. Margaret and Juliet provided additional commentary for the video. Follow the link for more information.
It is the first time I can remember seeing this approach tried, and I thought it worked very well (within the limitations of the projection system). The projection system replacement is one of my projects, so I'd expect to be writing more about that later.

Garden
Once again it has been a nice day, so after the Spanish GP, it was into the garden to mix some soil and compost and move the tomato plants from the seed tray to pots. This proved to be harder for me than I had imagined. The movements in the shoulder to get a trowel full of soil into a pot must be quite complicated. I potted 55 tomato plants, they were the best of the bunch - not bad from a packet of 50 seeds.

Exercise
For me this exercise is performed in a standing position. The left arm is used to help the right arm get as high as it can. This is the exercise that causes the most discomfort (rather than pain) as the shoulder clicks and jumps in its joint at each end of the range.

When I was first allowed to drive again after the accident I opened the up and over garage door, and caught it with my right hand before it hits the frame, as I had always done. Except when the door stopped moving I could not get my hand off. I had to lift it off carefully with the left hand.

Yesterday I managed to reach up to the open door with my right arm, and pull it down, change position and push down to closed all in one motion as I had used to - but SLOWER! That is a real mark of the progress I'm making.

1 comment:

  1. Even with your wonky arm, you must have a green thumb. 55 thriving tomato plants! I envy you.

    ReplyDelete