Monday, August 31, 2015

Scam?

I've not heard this one before, and as I'm still here and on the internet I'm presuming its a scam.

I received a call and the guy on the phone knew who I was and my address (easy information to find), he claimed to be from Microsoft.  He said that my windows license had been compromised and was being used by others, as a result Microsoft were going to cancel the license and provide me with another one.

He wanted to check my license, but I told him the PC was not on and I wasn't prepared to wait 20 minutes for it to power up.  I asked for my license key.  He gave me 00C0 4FD7 B062.  I was expecting five sets of five characters (a Microsoft Product Key), so was rather surprised to get something that looked for all the world like a MAC address.

I said I'd call back (I won't) and could he give me a number.  He did: 1800 212-1199.  I then gave him the go ahead to terminate the license.  This number only returns Chinese/Japanese and Russian sites when put into Google.

He called from 02011123236 which seems to have a bit of a reputation for dodgy calls.

If you didn't know it would have been easy to fall for this scam: he was polite, articulate and apparently helpful.  My guess is that he would look at something on my PC and tell me that the licence I was using wasn't valid and then charge me for a new one.

Microsoft OEM licenses are bound to the hardware, and if used on other machines will prevent windows update and give you some very annoying nag screens.  You may also loose your desktop background.  I have never seen access to the internet disabled - that's what you need to resolve the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment