Sunday, March 20, 2011

Do you want to get well?

With the boys back from their holiday, but still a little jet-lagged, and Liz back from retreat the house is slowly returning to its normal bustle and volume.  Preparing this sermon yesterday was difficult. It had nothing to do with the volume or bustle, but relates to my previous encounters with healers and the extreme scepticism I suffer from in their presence.  Do I really believe God will heal me?  Is that something he just does for others? - I have known people who have received healing  Perhaps it is the scepticism that needs healing rather than my partially healed and ageing body.  So I finished late and was still reading and tinkering with the text into the evening.  I'm not sure why I do that either - I don't speak it most of the time - except some stories that are read to ensure the key phrases come through.
Still it went down well, with some positive comments - mostly about my poor impression of Michael Palin.  All feedback is good.  I prefer it to be specific and positive (not necessarily praising me, rather helping me to do better), but all feedback is good.
That was the 8am service.  My day started about 5:30 this morning, I say that now so you will understand a little more of what happens later.
Breakfast was abbreviated as I took a look at the office e-mail system.  Whatever problems they are having do not occur on Sunday mornings.  While I was finishing the last one we found that one of the SMB visitors had a window in her car broken and her handbag stolen.  She was understandably upset but graciously said she hoped they would read her Bible.
The 10:00 service was a parade, with fewer cubs and brownies than usual.  That's a shame because the SMB folk did a really good job of telling the story. An inflatable paddling pool and sheep hanging from a 'gate' would give you a very slight idea of the flavour of what they were doing.
We arrived home before 12:00 and I promptly fell asleep listening to Just a Minute, and struggled to wake up for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment