Thursday, August 05, 2010

Freecycle

I have a natural dislike of throwing things away when they are still in good functioning order.  We are supposed to be good stewards of the earth and its resources, and I try to live up to that.  That's why, a while ago I joined the local freecycle website.  Its a place, a message board (a yahoo group actually) where you can put 'adverts' for things you would like to get rid of, or things you would like to acquire.
Time moves on and technology changes (improves?).  As a result, and so that we are into the digital age, we have just bought a new television - a Samsung.  Its digital and HD, so I'm almost up to date. 
What to do with our old Sony?  I can't even work out how old it is (at least 8 years, I think), certainly nowhere near as old as the Ferguson we had before that, but things change so quickly.  The Sony was working well, and not showing any signs of problems.  So to free cycle with it.  I looked at trying to sell it but for £40 (the going rate for similar TVs), its hardly worth the effort.  I looked at giving it to charities, but they won't take analogue TV's any more.  So freecycle it I did, and after just 3 days it's gone.  I hope it's new owners enjoy it.
That's my first experience of freecycle and it's a very good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment