Sunday, May 02, 2010

Swallows and Avocets

Being the first May bank holiday, the weather has turned from warm and sunny to cold, wet and windy.  However, before I discuss our outing, I must discuss our church service.  Warner spoke to us about the forth coming general election and used the Beatitudes to make some interesting points about the character traits of the sort of people we should be voting for.  This came on top of the hustings of last Thursday and was a useful reminder to think carefully and try to make a judgement before you vote.  He asked us for 100% turn out.  I hope his wish comes true.  The turn out at general elections is usually too low.  Remember people have died for the privilege that we now take for granted, and sometimes ignore completely.

I am reminded of a conversation on the bus while the BBC interviewer was there.  A young woman had been asked if she would say a few words on the recorder for broadcast later.  The conversation went something like this.

Ben the BBC Essex man started with "Excuse me, would you say something about the debate?"
"What debate?"
"The priministerial debate"
"What's that?"
"About the Election"
"What election?"
"The general election"
"What's that? - I don't know anything about that"
"Never-mind, it not something everyone's interested in"

She then got out he mobile phone and called someone
"I've just been asked to be on the radio"  ... "He wants to ask me about politics"  ...  "but I don't know anything about that"

After church we rushed home for soup and the rushed off to Two Tree Island for the walk. It was supposed to start at 2pm.  We arrived at the designated car park just before two. No-one there.  We drove on and checked the other car parks, eventually we returned to the designated car park.  As we arrived so did some others.  It is not an easy place to find, but as I had lived near by I knew where it was.  For May the weather was unpleasant, but we were well protected from the wind and rain. We set out in the hope of seeing Kingfishers.  Much of the area is looked after by the Essex Wildlife trust.  There is a good picture here.  We did not see kingfishers.  We did see swallows.  They are amazing little birds with their sudden twists and turns, and skimming food from the surface of the water.  There are flashes of colour, white on black, and a stunning deep blue if you catch one flying directly away from you.  I stood transfixed as they darted about.  One of our party, who is a real bird watching enthusiast told us that they had probably one just arrived.  At another pool further along the path we saw avocets - not like the chick in the picture, but fully grown wading birds.  They too are fascinating to watch as they bob up and down feeding in the mud below the shallow water.

Another good walk, which I'm glad I attended.  Despite living locally for many years this was the first time I had walked on Two Tree Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment