Thursday, January 07, 2010

Windows 7 - first brief look

On a pre-installed machine, but more of that later.  So here are my first impressions.  They can be summed up with the phrase "What a mess". 
Now I know a lot of this stuff can be fixed, but it shouldn't need to be.

1) Translucent title bars are still in place.  These are probably the daftest idea that Microsoft has ever had.

2) Shutdown, if you click it installs the updates - 15 in my case.  Microsoft please note - I just want to go home, not wait for all these updates to install.

3) UAC messages are still apparent.  I have only logged on and completed set up, and I've still had to confirm that I want to!

4) Coming out of Standby the screen doesn't show the red power off button until you click 'Switch User'.  Then the same screen is displayed with it, but this time the option to install updates must be selected!!

5) I selected connect on the wireless network I wanted to connect to.  It is WEP protected, so I expected a prompt for a key.  Instead the system reported that there was a problem.  I'm new to this O/S so took the decision to diagnose the problem.  Lots of scanning and repairs later it still hadn't asked me for the key.  In fact to put the key in I have to go into the control panel and navigate the unnecessary hierarchy of bits and bobs before I can enter the key.  I typed it wrong the first time, but still no message saying, for example "access denied".  Why ever not?  They're fond enough of it elsewhere.

6) Start-up time is supposed to be improved - it isn't.  I'm going to race it against my old Vista system to see who wins.  Of my current machines the 4 year old XP is the fastest to a usable state (logged in).

My conclusion so far - this is Vista version 1.5.  The rest is unjustified hype!

No comments:

Post a Comment