Sunday, December 20, 2009

Am I afraid?

A further small dusting of snow overnight and the previous nights experience of watching cars not manage a truly straight line up the road meant that plan A was to be applied.  We walk to church.  We got up late though! With coats, thick socks, walking boots, hats, scarves and gloves we were well prepared for the two mile walk.  It took only 5 to 10 minutes longer than usual and I was happy not to have to negotiate the hill, and the junction with Rushdene Road in the car.  As we got up late we also arrived late, and so finished Breakfast at about 10 to 10:00.
Christ Church this morning was 'in the round', or as Warner put it '360° church', although I'm sure that has a much more important meaning than the layout of the chairs.  The reason for the unusual lay out was that today is the day of the nativity.  The service when the younger children present some sort of tableaux that tells the story.  We were warned that there had been minimal rehearsal, and that was certainly true.  Children were confused about where they should go and what they should do.  It was all handled very light heartedly, and the parents of those involved seemed to enjoy it.  Most importantly the story of Christmas - the coming of the Saviour - was told.  Not only the how, but also the why - God breaking into his world to save us from ourselves - each of us and all of us.
If you needed anything to remind you that we cannot save ourselves you only have to have read or listened to the news yesterday. Global warming is now officially aloud, as the Copenhagen talks fail to deliver anything even remotely useful.  As I typed that sentence I was aware that my fingers are freezing and we need to do something to fix the windows that do not close properly. That will help with Global warming.  As we walked rather than drove we have completed our target (almost) to drive five miles less a week.  As campaigns go, and I'm not a fan of them as you probably realise, this is probably one of the most ridiculous.  There aren't many of us that can just choose to drive less that easily.  "I'll drive to within half a mile of work and park there" or "I'll leave the car half a mile from home and walk the rest" - It just isn't practical.
Our walk to church through the ice and snow generated a question - "Aren't you afraid to go out walking in this?"  The immediate answer "No, I'm not".  The truth is that I think more carefully and make sure I have the right equipment - walking boots, so that I don't slip.  I have learnt a valuable lesson and early enough so that the consequences have not disabled me. The accident has not undermined my faith in my ability to walk, or my faith in the ability of God to save me when I need saving - which will be sooner than I would like it to be!.

No comments:

Post a Comment