Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hoop Beer Festival

In honour of my getting (even) older, we spent the afternoon at the Hoop Beer Festival. As you will see, if you follow the link, there is a large marquee which serves as an extension to the pub. There are many different beers to try, more than I could possibly get through in a week, and certainly not an afternoon.
Between us we tried a number and shared the glasses round so that we got to taste many more. Being the sort of person that I am, I naturally scored the beers on their taste, here are our combined, agreed scores:
BreweryBeerRating
BrentwoodLunberjack********
BrentwoodSummer Virgin*******
BrentwoodMarvelous Maple Gold******
Crouch ValeEssex Boys Bitter********
Crouch ValeBrewers Gold
******
Crouch ValeBest******
DowntonMaroonmaker Mild*********
GoffsWhite Knight********
GoffsJouster*******
Hop BackSummer Lightening
*******
SummerskillsHopscotch******
TitanicAnchor**
White Horse
Wayland Smithy****
Farmhouse Cider**********
There was a general high approval rating, but one or two were not so good. Usually because the flavour was too strong.

The festival itself runs all week. If it's as crowded for the rest of the week as it was today, the publican can take a long and expensive holiday. Food was also available, so I ditched the diet (just this once) and went for the 'hog roast' - a large burger, with carved pork, stuffing, apple sauce and crackling. Very nice, but not really quite enough - still the beer fills you up!

A very enjoyable afternoon with my family and my sisters family.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see the West Country well represented in this list (? should that be "Moonraker" from Downton")
    Summer lightning is a fave tipple of my old mate the Archdeacon of Salisbury.
    Was there anything from Stebbing's White Hart brewery?

    cheers
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing from Stebbings. Should I recommend it for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not? They won prizes last year in Manchester
    check out
    http://www.hartofstebbingbrewery.co.uk/

    If you come over to sample the wares let me know I'll buy you a pint

    ReplyDelete