Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dell Inspiron 530S + Windows Vista

The CPU fan mount broke on my Evesham (running XP/SP3) - not the worlds greatest machine, but not quite two year old.

So as an emergency replacement I bought a Dell from PC World. It has Vista Home Premium. I've spent a few days building my fairly complex environment, and moving setting and files from the old machine (which will run, but only if its flat on its side).

Already I hate Vista.
  • My start-up programs are blocked - because they are not registered with microsoft
  • I am constantly asked to approve what I've just told the computer to do
  • I cannot always get onto the network when I logoff one user and logon as another - DHCP wont get an address (why does it need to?)
  • I have put all my personal shortcuts in the usual place (in a folder under the start menu for all users) but I'm not allowed to create shortcuts there. Shortcuts have to be created on the desktop, and moved.
  • Once the Shortcuts are there they can be found by the search, but the folder will not expand.
  • While importing address books for thunderbird, the import dialog showed only 3 of the four file in the folder. Typing the name worked, and the addresses were imported.
So I thought I'd let SP1 install - BAD Move!!!
After SP1 my network driver is blocked and my DVD drive doesn't work
  • System restore to the rescue? - No - as usual!
  • After system restore the system starts to install SP1, which this time fails and is backed out (as part of the process)
  • The list of applied fixes says it was successful!
  • Now I have a network - great, but no DVD - "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" - Very helpful.
  • A fix recommends deleting a registry hive and re-booting.
  • I cannot get access to all of the registry hive (access denied AGAIN!), and the piece I can't see doesn't get exported - so no backup if I do this.
  • The solution to the problem according to Microsoft - apply SP1!

Does it remind you of "There's a hole in my bucket"?

Where now - Linux maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment