Sunday, September 27, 2026

Charging to Nowhere

On the way back from our day in Saffron Walden I decided to try to charge the car, we didn't need to, but that's the best time to learn how.  So after a bit of digging through Google, and using the system in the Inster, we headed for a leisure centre on the edge of the town.

bp pulse charger
The BP pulse charger is located in the far corner of the car park (google said turn right, actually, turn left).  We followed the instructions, plugged in the charger cable. A timer appears on the screen, either 1 minute or 30 seconds, I can't remember.  I don't think there's anything I need to do now, we have passed the credit card checks according to the reader (this is a very slow process, perhaps it's using the 2G signal?)
After a while the message 'communication error'.  We tried again, and again.  With the same result, both times.  
Our next destination is Thaxted.  Good luck finding a charger there, there are none on the car map or google.

LIDL rapid charger
So, we went back into town a little, to LIDL.  They have one charger, it was in use.  So we did some shopping, because we needed to.  On leaving the shop, a family is unplugging, so we queue, and eventually take our spot. 
Like the Pulse, there is an App, but here the 'pay without app' is a LOT more complicated.  The website it refers you to is recursive, clicking the pay like takes you to the top of the page.  I did eventually find the right link.  Now the page wants the charger number, but is refreshing constantly.  Typing is difficult, did my character get sent or not.  I need five zeros as part of the number, I got 3 at the first attempt.  Nine at the next attempt.  Finally, I have the number correct and tap 'Submit'.  The next page says 'Address not found', that's a browser message.  Time to say goodbye to LIDL.  Maybe, with the app it works, maybe I'll never know.

screen receipt for cancelled transaction
Next, is InstaVolt at Takeley.  A bank of chargers on the site of a small run of shops.  This looks more promising.  However, following the instructions led us to getting the charging cable locked in the car.  I had to watch a YouTube video to find out how to release it.  A guy in a British Gas van was trying to charge his van.  It wouldn't take his approved charge card either.  He phoned the support line and got to speak to someone who was incredibly unhelpful. "Computer says NO", comes to mind.  Her actual phrase was something like "Yes, they're doing that a lot today".  It didn't help him or me.  He did say he charges here regularly and it is usually not an issue.  So maybe just an unlucky day, but we couldn't get charged.  What it did do was lock out one of my credit cards, as it was the fifth or sixth rejected transaction in an hour or so.  We left him to his anger and confusion and made our way home.  

Had we been in need of charging I would have loaded and registered the app, but I shouldn't have to.  The care the charging companies provide and the systems they expect us to use are well below parr.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment