Saturday, October 28, 2023

Half Term Escape 6 - to the tower

Today is the only day with pre-booked events.  Both these are in Eastbourne.  This morning, however, they were not uppermost in our minds.  We were up earlier than usual, and I had already bathed when the water supply turned a muddy brown.  I went for a chat with the road works guys, who predictable denied all knowledge, but said that today they are ¼ mile down the road.  Buying water is added to the schedule.

We arrived at The Sovereign Centre with plenty of time to spare, so had a drink, and then I departed off to see the Martello tower, while the others got ready for their swim (or water fight). 

After about 20 minutes walking along the promenade, I came to the tower.  I was met by a worker in a high visibility jacket and carrying a clipboard.  I guess you know the type already.  He warned me about heavy lorries and advised me not to go on.  I had seen the track, I knew what to expect, and I quite definitely had my wits about me.  I was not deterred, and he finally agreed he could not stop me.  So to the tower I went.

In truth, there is not much to see. There is something on top of it that looks modern and is something to do with monitoring shipping, perhaps.  I found a similar device on a pole as I entered the harbour area leading to the marina.

After the swim, we ate a pre-prepared lunch in the car, then made the short journey to 'Tenpin'.  Arriving too early, we visited the neighbouring Sainsbury's and bought drinking water - just in case.

The bowling alley is also full of arcade machines, as are many of these places, so a game or two was played. When our lane was ready we began, I started with a strike, and then went downhill, not scoring well again until the end of the second game. 

Another wait until we could get our evening meal.  As this is the last evening we can have a meal this holiday, we visited the Horse and Groom at Rushlake Green.  The food was excellent, the portions enormous, and the staff friendly and helpful.  Definitely one of the best evening meals I've had.  Even Thomas ate loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment