Thursday, January 16, 2020

Lego Saturn V - Introduction

I was given one of these for Christmas.  I hear it takes about 18 hours to put it together and that you can get a glass case to put it in so that it is nicely displayed.

This is therefore my new project for 2020, I hope to spend some time on it on Thursdays when I don't have home group to prepare.  Of course, I'm not entirely alone doing the construction because my grandson has asked to help.  The box says 14+, he is 7, but he already does 10+ kits, so I will have the help I need.

When we visited the Huntsville Space Center in 2012, I was fortunate enough to stand next to one (a shell, probably).  The stats are amazing, it is still the biggest, most powerful rocket ever launched.
Saturn V Stats
Height363.0 ft (110.6 m)
Diameter33.0 ft (10.1 m)
Mass6,540,000 lb (2,970,000 kg)
In the box there are 12 bags of Lego, each carefully numbered.  There is an instruction book (not booklet!), that I will have to follow VERY carefully.  For Thanksgiving, we visited Karen and Robert in Alabama, while there I helped their son with a 3+ kit, and even with that there were some mistakes.  Meaning dis-assembly and re-build.

I doubt I will complete it inside the 18 hours, but then it's not about how long it takes...

For today, though, just a peek inside the box.  Next update in two weeks (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment