Sunday, September 05, 2010

Matthew 5:17-20 "The Laws of Life", an introduction for Just 10

Today was a "preachers choice" sermon.  A chance for the preacher to give a more personal message to the church.  A chance to speak on subjects that are perhaps news worthy or otherwise topical for my church.  As we are running Just 10 from September 15 it seemed logical that I should speak on The Law in some way.  We also wanted to show the Just 10 video  - the one that starts with J.John saying "people live in one of two tents - con-tent or discon-tent ...".  That meant I was limited to 10 minutes.  Time for a different approach.  Choosing the passage was difficult, and I ended up with the Matthew passage from the start of the Beattitudes, where Jesus reminds his followers that he is not about to overthrow The Law.  The sermon was all based around events in my life - so I know the stories I'm going to tell really well.  As usual I spent Saturday writing the script.  I was done by noon and completed the practices using my new webcam to see how it worked.  Those recordings aren't anywhere near good enough for you-tube, so no one will ever get to see it, but maybe in a few months I might try to publish one.  The recording will of course be on the Christ Church sermons site in the next few days so you can listen to it there.  That is probably the best option because I hardly used the script at all, and some of it did not come out in the order I intended yesterday.  If you would like to read the script it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment