Friday, January 15, 2010

Talking Rubbish / Talking Sense

What a strange news morning it was. When we should have been talking about Haiti instead we hear that
Nick Clegg has apparently been saying that faith schools must tell the truth - that homosexuality is normal.  He was speaking to Stone Wall (a pressure group for homosexual rights).  Nick wasn't on the program, only a representative from Ekklesia and a Headmistress. Firstly to Nick Clegg - you are the leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, so you shouldn't be telling anyone what to believe.  If this autocratic approach dictates policy I will leave.
Secondly, and more importantly, as Nick wasn't there, on to the debate itself.  The headmistress spoke sensitively and sensible about the one incident of homophobic bullying that she had experienced.  The man from Ekklesia stated that there were 10% more cases of homophobic bullying in faith schools than in state schools and it was something we MUST address.  He went on to say that being a homosexual is normal, like having sex before marriage is normal because its happen all the time.   Ekklesia say on their web site "the religion and society think-tank at the cutting edge of culture, spirituality and politics".  If this mushy thinking is the best that those on the cutting edge can manage I'm appalled.  Many of the things we see all the time are a normal part of human experience - divorce, domestic violence, public drunkenness, random acts of kindness by strangers, being ginger, or bald ...  Being normal does not make them good, healthy, positive or bad, sick, negative experiences. A very different form of judgement is required.  That is where the role of the faith community comes in.  Most people of faith have certain standards.  They know that the god they believe in asks certain things of them.  As a Christian, I know that my God expects me to abstain from divorce and sex outside of marriage, which must be to a person of the opposite gender.  My God expects me to remain sober, indulge in random acts of kindness to the best of my ability, not discriminate against people based on their hair colour, their gender, their skin colour, their social class or their personal belief system and defend all who are being bullied. He's not really into rules, he would prefer I just copied his son.  My God has very high standards and as hard as I try I will never live up to them, but I do at least have something of value to aim at, so I should make progress. If I were just to accept what I see happening to many people as normal (implying acceptable) then standards in society would plummet and chaos ensue.
After watching that interview I went upstairs and caught most of thought for the day.

From the BBC Website ( you'll need real player to listen):

Thought for the Day

listen Script not yet available Date: Friday 15 January
Presenter: Giles Fraser
Subject: Trying to rationalise theology is counter productive; belief resides somewhere deeper than logic.

 He made refreshing sense saying that the logical arguments for the existence of God don't work in the face of great disaster, but that those who believe respond to such disasters by realising their need for God and their reliance on him in an even greater way than usual.  The atheists therefore cannot expect believers to suffer shock and suddenly 'wake up' from the delusions.

There followed an item in which Vince Cable (Liberal Democratic spokesman on the economy) made perfect sense on the subject of getting our money back from the banks.

I left for work with my faith in reason and faith restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment