Monday, November 02, 2009

Maintenance Day / Off to see this piggies

Maintenance Day
Well almost!  We have them at church and occasionally there has to be one at home too.  The toilet seat is replaced.  The fixings had rusted through.  It is an old 1980's colour and a matching one is £70.00.  We found a translucent one, which will do the job for half the price.  Fixing it was relatively straight forward, but I don't know how long it will last - most of the fittings are metal.  1 success.

I also replace the bulb in the outside light.  It still does not work.  It has needed a new bulb since the kitchen was fitted - when the switch was moved from the kitchen to the garage.  Now we have to work out why it doesn't work, and buy a new one, I expect.  1 failure.

Tidying up the garden is just a routine activity as winter arrives, however, I was surprised to see new flowers on one of the cherry tomato plants.  I have left it out to see what happens.

Christ Church morning service.
We were lucky enough to secure the services of John Carr to preach at this service.  He took a few verses from Colossians and explained the whole gospel.  He has a rare talent.  Someone who can speak straight forwardly, gently and simply, and yet command your whole attention throughout.

Of to see the piggies
We had been planning to go to see the 'piggies' for a long time.  So after the last race of the F1 season was complete, we got ourselves together and drove to Luton.  Karen saw the 'piggies' when they were very youmg, and couldn't resist them, so she has two, in her house. They are peculiar little things, and reminded me of tribbles a little.  They are scared of pretty much everything, and will disappear into the bottom of their cage at the slightest noise.  She has of course given them names Jeffery and Billy - they are both male so they can't produces any more 'piggies'.


Karen and one of her guinea pigs. I have to admit they are cute, but I can't really see what they are for.  They produces a rather pleasing wheek-wheek sound when they are stroked, and are probably quite calming if you are agitated.
Standing with a guinea pig on my arm and stroking it gently, I tried to imagine myself as blofeld.  It is possible to be menacing holding a guinea pig?

I suspect not!


After a few minutes with the piggies, we left them to a quiet house and drove off to a harvester for tea. Being All Saints Day, and also the last day of half term, it was packed, and we had to wait one hour for a table. Still the food was good, and the company better, although both Liz and Karen were tired after their night in St Albans Cathedral.
We arrived home late. I was wide awake from two hours driving, eating late, and drinking coffee (to ensure I stayed awake while driving!) and went to bed far too late.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at the mental image of your menacing guinea pig!

    Double O Seven quakes.

    ReplyDelete