Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fungi

After a wet week, except for our sailing day on Thursday, and today - when it has been warm and bright - I went to walk in the garden during a break from sermon preparation.

I picked a few tomatoes that had just begun to turn red.  As you can see the tomato patch looks a bit sad.  We have suffered blight again this year, but not as badly as last year.


From 2009_1010 Fungi


Then walking around the edge I spotted some fungi. Ideal conditions in the last couple of days, I suppose.

We have about a dozen of the large brown/red ones, which I think are Paxillus involutus. Thanks to http://www.fungiworld.co.uk for the pictures used to make a guess at the identity.  Their site says these are 'extremely poisonous'  As to the ones on the right, I have no idea - they may even be mushrooms, but I like my stomach as it is so I'm not going to try to find out.  There are three clumps of those and a couple of odd ones on their own.

The small ones (on the right) have appeared before, but the extremely poisonous ones I don't think I've seen before.  We have lived in the house for over twenty years.  It reminds me how little I know about my surroundings - there is always something new to fascinate me and distract me.  Sermon preparation can be like that too, God will often grow something unexpected in me (given the right conditions).  So I'd better get back to it!


The Cyclamen that we have just dumped in the garden seems to be loving the conditions.  I've lost count of how many of these we have killed by letting them get too hot, too dry, too cold, or too wet.
If there are no pictures in the post you are reading please go to http://3cephas.blogspot.com/2009/10/fungi.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment