Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Shoulder Class session 2

Same old exercises, just set together with some warm up and some ball games. One of which is shooting into a basket ball hoop. I scored one out of five. That made me equal top scorer for this week.
I have a walking stick at home for this exercise, doing it with a broom handle in the class was a lot harder. The walking stick has a carved head and is much easier to hold.
Physiotherapy seems to be basically: if the arm won't go where it should push it until it does. It does seem to be working, but I'm still unsure whether that's me pushing the day-to-day tasks, or whether the exercises really do help.
For example, yesterday I dug two holes in the hard dry ground full of tree roots to put roses in. I did this much more slowly than normal, and used pruners to get the roots out. I used my right arm because I can't dig left handed (I did try, it was hopeless). At one point a root gave way and the spade stopped resisting my weight. My arm descended to its fullest extent very quickly. The shock gave me pins and needles in my arm for 5 minutes or so. Later that evening doing the pulley exercise I found I could reach the bar again, which I haven't been able to do for two weeks. (Since the class started.)

Interesting.

Mainly though I'm very thankful that it is still improving, even if progress is very slow.

After the class I went straight to work on the bus, although straight does not really desrcibe the route. It takes one hour - near enough. In a car I could do it in 35 minutes easily.

1 comment:

  1. "If the arm won't go where it should, push it until it does". I think I detect some deep spiritual lesson here.

    Sorry you're having to go through all this, Pete.

    ReplyDelete