Sunday, March 01, 2009

It's Broken, but not Vista

Apart from my Arm, my shower and my printer are both broken. Now it appears my blog is broken as well!
For lent, I have been following some new blogs and twitter. As part of that I discovered Church Mouse, which is now in the interesting Blogs list. Today it says '5 weeks ago'. This is rubbish, Mr Mouse does daily updates, or there abouts. Some of the other blogs have never updated, now I have one that's predictable, I have reported the problem to Blogger, or at least to a discussion page. We'll see.
Working in reverse order, I have borrowed an old HP deskjet 5550 from my daughter. It has been in out loft for 2 years, carefully wrapped in its original plastic bag, and sellotaped in the box. Getting it down and set up with 1.3 functioning arms was interesting, but that's not the point. Once set up it worked straight away. I downloaded the drivers for the old XP machine, and carefully following the instructions, ended up with two printer definitions sharing the same queue (I think). Anyway, when I tried to delete the original printer definition, the newly created one stopped working. The printer though had already printed a test page, in colour only. So I'll need a new cartridge, what does it take? HP56 and HP57 - exactly the ones that I had already bought a stock of for the hpsc2110 that has now broken. God is Good!
Then I thought I'd check the status in Vista - it's drivers are included in the base distribution, just plug it in. I DID AND IT WORKED! Vista 1, XP 0 Stunning, amazing, unbelievable, but true. I can now print and read my sermon in the usual way.

No comments:

Post a Comment