Saturday, November 21, 2009

Nearly Live

Nearly Live
It has been a busy week.  I've worked more hours this week than any other since I started this job.  Now I'm nowhere near the 70+ that I was once working, but that was many years ago.  The first phase of my project is about to go live, and performance has (suddenly?) become an issue.  It has been overcome, by redesigning some of the code, and the nightly run now completes without time-outs waiting for the database to get nothing.

If you didn't understand that - never mind -, but if you want more detail its here.

Today should have been a welcome break, but there is still one option that doesn't work.

Youth Worker Conference
Both Karen and Liz are away at the Youth worker conference this weekend.  I attended a few year ago and had a really good time.  It's even better if you're a professional, still I'd like to have been going.

Automated Lighting
The motion sensitive switch out side the front door has been playing up for ages.  A few days ago it gave up altogether.  I had already ordered and received a new one.  Today was time to put it up.  Drilling holes in walls and making the nece3ssary electrical connections is not too difficult, but the lack of strength in certain parts of my shoulder made screwing in the screws difficult, and surprisingly keeping the drill straight was harder than it should have been.
I'd read the wiring instructions and wired it up, then came back and read them again.  How come they are different the second time round?  I went back and corrected my connections.  The switch on was fine, and we now have light on our broken steps.

Winter - really?
This miniature rose appeared to have died, and was due to be removed, but here it is flowering at the end of November!



Drugs
This week has also been the week to replenish the drug supply.  I had given all the details to the Chemists as they offer a free service to collect and make up prescriptions.  I had completed and signed all the forms.  So on Wednesday evening the cynic in me was not at all surprised they had never heard of me!  They got me the drugs I need though, so it is not all bad. I picked them up on Thursday. The NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) have changed suppliers for some of the drugs, and the headline description is different, so it was back on Friday to check that they really were the correct ones.  "It all makes work for the working man to do"

No comments:

Post a Comment