Make Poverty History

Monday, July 06, 2009

Epson Stylus SX200 - Ink Cartridge Change (Offline)

Had my first attempt at an ink cartridge change last night. One hour later I went to bed, cartridge changed, but Oh how frustrating.

It's a good idea - it just doesn't work.

The light has been flashing for ages, but prints have been OK. I tried to photocopy a document and just got some grey patches on the paper. The light was still only flashing.

OK, clean the print heads - multiple times, I've owned Epsons before.

In off line mode the printer just doesn't do what the book says it should.

Switch it off, switch it on while holding down 'stop'. Listen to the head move, the clicks, bangs, whooshes and whirs. Wait patiently for the print - it didn't come. Second time it did. 3rd, 4th, 5th it didn't. Now the light is on solidly, so I can change the cartridge. Open the printer, and the head moves to point at the cartridge that needs changing, then to the place where it can be changed. Take the old one out, put the new one in. The click is perceptible, but not satisfying. (Its much better on the Brother.). Close the cartridge lid, close the printer and wait while the ink warning light continues to flash. Eventually it goes out.

How to change a non-empty cartridge off-line? The book says refer to the on-line help (Great I'm not on-line!). The on-line help says (for the 400 + only) refer to the book. - This is an absolute classic IT issue. Companies like Epson should be beyond these problems by now. If it can't be done, which is the case from the evidence I have, then please SAY SO.

I thought chipped cartridges were supposed to know when they were empty. Clearly not.

The photo quality was disappointing for the two or three photos that I have printed. OK I'm using HP paper, but it shouldn't make that much difference.

I note that several reviews give this printer just one star. On my current experience I'd say that was generous. The reviews weren't around when I bought the printer, and it was one of only two all-in-ones that fitted in the space I have.

All this reminds me of a recent Dilbert cartoon:
(I don't know what's happened to the image quality - it was fine before it was uploaded)