Monday, May 12, 2008

Burnham-on-Crouch




Burnham-on-Crouch
Taking advantage of the unseasonable warm weather we decided to go for a stroal along the river at Burnham. The drive from Billericay is about 30 minutes, I guess, though I didn't time it. As we arrived we drove through the sports ground and on to the park. The car is making strange noises, and we've come round lots of 90 degree bends, so I'm not as relaxed as I should be. We park and wander down to the river bank. We walk towards the town. I'm sure the sign said 'to the beach' - never mind - it's pleasant enough. We pass a lady on a bike who has rung her bell as before turning round the blind corner. She reminds her companions that she does need the bell. I agree.

View Larger Map
We walked along the rivers edge, from left to right on the map, past the house boats and the boat yards and into the town (bottom right). On the way back we stopped in a pub for a drink. I felt old, as the pub was frequented by only young people. We stood on the raise ares behind the sea wall and watch the tide come in VERY slowly. The water was calm, the place quiet, with just the occasional small motor boat, and the noise of people's voices.

A lovely way to spend a warm Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment