Monday, December 03, 2007

Bill Legend band and Bishop Laurie at Christ Church

After Saturday evening I had high expectations for church this morning. I was not disappointed. The Bill Legend band lead the singing, and it was a wonderfully up-lifting morning. I'm please to say that we sung my new favourite song Majesty (Here I am) by Delirious. The band set up was exactly as the night before, and their worship songs just as good, but now in the context of the service. Warner apologised at the start that the music would be louder than usual, but promised that it was turned down from last night. That was the first time I've heard vocal protest in a service for some time. The music was a lot louder than we're used to. Loud enough for me to sing at the top of my voice, and not be heard by those on either side, back or front. It's partly this freedom to sing with out fear of putting others off that makes the worship better for me. When the music is quiet I find it difficlut to hear and even more difficult to follow the tune. Tone deaf doesn't cut it, but that isn't really the problem, I can hear the tune, I just have never been able to re-produce it.
Still, there was those who complained, so I guess they have their own problems to overcome, but for me - I like it LOUD.

SO that was good, but there was better to come. Laurie, who apparently changed his sermon in the last few minutes before the service started, used the band to help. It will be on the Christ Church web-site soon, so watch out for it, and listen to it. This is easily the best sermon I have heard in 2007. He has managed to listen to the Spirit and truly pick up the message we need to hear, and (very importantly) to present it in a way that is easy to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment