Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Caffiene Christianity pt 2

The remainder of the week was amazing.  The small party from Christ Church enjoyed a barbeque together one evening, sometimes we all went to the same evening worship, other time we didn't.   Then there were the seminars.  There are three a day, if you can handle them.  I didn't manage 3 every day. There was too much to take in even with the ones I did manage.

Here are some high lights.
From "A God shaped hole in politics" discussed how we should be involved in political action and how each or the parties has at least one prayer organization.  While it becomes more difficult to 'do God' (as Tony Blair said he didn't), it begins to become easier to be 'on God's side' and allow you experiences with Him to shape you policies.  The 20th Century is called the Secular Century.

Caroline Cox spoke to us about HART. If you think we should be cutting the aid budget what she said and showed might change your mind.  Britain is not a third world country.  HART's slogan is "We can't do everything, but we mustn't do nothing"

Bishop Zac from Kampala said he didn't think he had a message from God for us.  Thankfully he was wrong and preached one of the best sermons I have heard. He identified 3 things that are wrong with Western Society, I can't remember the first.  The second was 'Health & Safety'.  "People die all the time"  "Why are you afraid of dieing when you know where you're going?"  The third was the 'ME' culture.  At the end there should have been a massive call to repentance - there wasn't, it was the weeks biggest disappointment.  I've been told I should have gone to the front and told them - but I didn't.

"How to make your church sing louder in 108 difficult steps"
The title alone was intriguing, and I would love our church to sing louder.  It was all about finding your 'song'.  Or put more conventionally, it was about understanding what God is saying about himself to the world through you.  When we sing songs that our lives are in tune with the result is louder singing.

The Leadership Crisis
Among the 20-30 year olds the church is seen as failing.  We need Lions - from that age group, or perhaps the 30+ age to bring them back to God.  This seminar also contained one of the saddest thoughts for me - a leader can only communicate effectively with those who are between 10 years younger and 10 years older.

Towards Maturity
Mary Pytches gave a talk on her course and I bought the DVD and the workbook to see if it will work in our Church.

Theology Training
The course (to degree level) is taken over six years and covers theology and a lot of practical teaching about mission.  It looks really good, I could easily dedicate myself to it.  However, there's always a 'but'.  I have other things that I'm called to do.

The Market Place
Holds a bookstall and loads of shops and stands.  The Oscar stand was offering 'employment' (in quotes because employment usually implies salary, but not in this case).  There was even a job I could do - which set me thinking and praying.


There was much more, it was a week of great blessing. This is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment